Thursday, May 28, 2020

New AoS bases for Flesh Hounds/Warhounds

I painted these Warhounds as Flesh Hounds of Khorne a long time ago, and used them across Warhammer Fantasy, 40k and Age of Sigmar. I resisted when they got changed from biker bases (75x25mm oval) to 50mm round - I had already magnetized oval bases and rectangular movement trays, so none of that.

Now with the new Flesh Hounds kit out they got new base sizes again: 60x35mm oval. After having a jolly good laugh at everyone else, I decided to go with the flow.

I ordered a bunch of bases (which, by the way, are a new and proprietary format from Games Workshop, so there's no way to get them in large quantity for cheap) and decided to magnetize them - just in case this happens again.

The Hounds are already mounted on metallic washers. I glued 2x 5mm magnets on some 25mm round bases, then glued those to the oval bases. This has multiple benefits: the magnets can't fall out; the models get a height boost to get in line with the new plastic kit; and I have a clear spot where the models go, so I can flock the oval base without having to fear chipping or it getting in the way in any shape of form.


I flocked the oval bases in exactly the same way as the original washers. Not the most awe inspiring bases I ever made, but they look surprisingly good with very little effort, and I really did not want to re-base all 10 of them from scratch. The raised bases also blend in surprisingly well.


Oh, and I made sure the magnet polarities match, so I can stack all 10 of the new oval bases, and still save space by transporting the Hounds on their movement trays. Win-win.

No comments:

Post a Comment