Thursday, May 21, 2020

Painting Flesh Hounds of Khorne

Introduction


The first kit I painted from the Wrath & Rapture box set... about time. I wanted them to look differently than my Bloodletters, so I followed a Warhammer TV tutorial for the skintone, obviously translating the Citadel color range to what I have available.

Also the first thing I completed during the COVID-19 lockdown.

Painting the skin


Prime black. Spray Mephiston Red.


Paint the back, fins and bumps on the skin in a dark grey.


I lack this midtone (Eshin Grey), so I mixed 3:2 Cold Grey and Heavy Charcoal.


Two coats of Nuln Oil all over the skin.


Highlight the red skin using a bright deep red. I tried to reproduce Mephiston Red by mixing 1:1 Heavy Red and Gory Red.


Then Heavy Red + Heavy Orange for some edges/spots.

Highlight the grey skin with Cold Grey. This including edging the front of the spikes, dotting the bulbs and edging the face.


Rocks


In preparation for the lava base, paint the rocks they are standing on. Basecoat black.


Heavy drybrush Sombre Grey.


Light drybrush Wolf Grey. This actually caused some of the black to flake off (too much pressure on the drybrush?), so I fixed those spots with a Wolf Grey edge.


Other details


Paint the eyes Dead White.


Then glaze Lamenter's Yellow.


Mouths; fangs, claws and skulls


For the leathery membrane, I got inspired by the Bloodthirster's wings


Saliva effects using UHU glue.

Lava base.

Finished!






No comments:

Post a Comment