Monday, August 9, 2021

Painting Inquisitor Eisenhorn

Introduction

I bought this model some time ago, as I am a huge fan of the novel series. When the dynamic duo painting competition was announced, it took me about 5 minutes to get hit by inspiration. Unfortunately I had no ideas about a color scheme, but I liked the vibrant colors of the box art, so I went with it. I present to you "wet blending: the model"... and some other experiments, as well.

Prime

Prime black, then paint overall black. I think my black paint is drying out or something. This color is more like a desaturated dark grey.

Cloak inside & lining

Wet blend the inside of the cloak Black and Scarlet Red, with Black in the back/on the inside/generally in the shadow areas. At this point I missed the cuffs and the collar, but I'll do them later in the same manner. Hurray for the wet palette, keeping my paints usable over the night.

Paint the lining Scarlet Red.

Edge highlight the lining Bloody Red, then mix in Orange Fire for some highlights.

Finish off with some Orange Fire spot highlights.

Black cloak

Rather than my usual approach, I went with something fancy. First, fix the desaturation with a layer of Basilicanum Grey.

I then did wet blending with Black in the recesses and Turqoise mixed with lots of black (approximating Incubi Darkness) on top of the folds.

Mix more Turqoise in, repeat the process on smaller areas.

With the base tones set, I highlighted all around the edges, as well as lines on the top of the folds with Dawnstone. Second step, I roughed up the highlights with cross patterns, simulating wear and tear. I also outlined the button holes.

Highlight the crosshatching with 2:1 Elf Skintone and Pale Flesh (approximating Flayed One Flesh).


Green shoulderpads

Start with a clean black surface - that is, basecoat Basilicanum Grey over the initial black.

Paint a layer of Dark Green, with just a bit of black visible around the edges.

Start mixing in Jade Green, then paint successive smaller layers.

The last layer of pure Jade Green is just a thin strip in the middle of the shoulderpad. Also do an outline all around.

Face

Medium skintone.

Leather boots

Basecoat Charred Brown. I also did all the other future brown areas.

Edge highlight Beasty Brown, then do a bit of feathering into the larger areas.

I was looking for a desaturated, greyish brown for the highlights, and finally decided to roll my own, by mixing Charred Brown and Stonewall Grey. Do one fine edge highlight, then a lighter mix just dotting a superhighlight.

Hair and face

Black basecoat, layer Heavy Charcoal.

Cold Grey streaks on the top, and larger areas around the temples.

Highlight Ghost Grey. Concentrate around the face. Keep it streaky.

White superhighlight. Then add some Nuln Oil to the back of the streaks, leaving them brighter around the face; and between the streaks, for some separation. At this point I also did the eyes, which use the same color palette.

Brown details

Rapid fire through the skull and wooden staff. 

For the purity seal, do the wax in Volupus Pink and Basilicanum Grey, then highlight Warlord Purple, then mix in Squid Pink. Basecoat the scroll Bonewhite, then apply Agrax Earthshade into the shaded areas by holding the mini upside down. Another layer overall (also on the sides), then highlight Bonewhite.

Finally, draw a symbol on the skull using Blood Angels Red (initially it was supposed to be just one line crossed with a circle, but I drew the line a bit to the side, so I drew another one symmetrically). Draw writing on the scroll using Black Templar.

Finish the staff by drawing on runes in Grey Seer.

NMM gold

Yes, I'm doing it. But no way I'm spending a month on it. Go Contrast!

Basecoat Wraithbone.

Overall coat Iyanden Yellow. No pooling!

First lowlight: Snakebite Leather.

Second lowlight: Cygor Brown.

First highlight: mix 1:1 Sun Yellow and Dead White.

White spothighlights.

From above.

NMM silver

The model already has black areas highlighted with grey, so instead went with a purple tone silver. I did not actually think about it, but given the large amount of yellowy tones, it worked quite well.

Everything is already mostly black, so a basecoat of Black Templar will suffice on the pistol, chain, belt buckle, chest crossbar; and on the back, the grenade and the staff fitting for the skull.

Then mix Daemonette Hide for the first highlight.

Add Dead White 2-3 times for further highlights.

Finish with a spot highlight of white.

Same on the back.

Finishing

Diluted Black Templar for a hint of stubble.

Base

Inquisition base, with NMM gold as above. 

Finished!









No comments:

Post a Comment