Thursday, May 25, 2023

Painting a Chaos Rhino and Land Raider in Word Bearers colors

Ready to rumble!


Word Bearers armor 

First time applying the Contrast based color scheme on a vehicle. It's pretty messy, as the Flesh Tearers Red applies roughly on flat surfaces - as expected. I decided on doing heavy weathering to cover up any rough spots.

I went as far as Contrast would take me, including Iyander Yellow headlights.


I happened upon new Word Bearers-related codes; "All I ever wanted was the truth" is getting a bit old. Whereever real text wouldn't fit, I did the usual alchemical symbols and squiggly lines. The tanks have lots of large, open spaces, so have at it.






Here I messed up a pentagram, so I decided to mask it by tripling the lines. Pretty nice.

Painting details

For the details:

On the book, do the raised lines in Blood Angels Red.

Do the rope as blond hair.

I freehanded a book on the Rhino, using the same steps as for scrolls. For the highlight step, do waves in Wraithbone, parallel to the sides.

Then draw the Word Bearers daemon head.

Shoulder symbols on the Raider.

Weathering

I wanted to show that these tanks have been in the thick of it for ages. I drew inspiration from the nun tanks

Start by sponging on some areas where the paint fell off. I went for a 2:1 mix of Reaper Fresh Blood and Black. The tone is almost an exact match for my metallic, so not very visible.

Mix 1:1... almost the same.

So I went in with pure Fresh Blood, trying to keep it smaller, on the inside of the previous patches.

Finally, small sponges of Chainmail Silver in the middle of each red spot.


 Repeat the steps on the Land Raider. Then muck it all up - follow the exact steps on the nun tanks.


I wanted a little extra, so I applied some black pigment on and around the exhaust pipes and fixed them using pigment fixer.


Here's after everything dried.


Missile launcher smoke

Just like here.

Finished!










No comments:

Post a Comment