Thursday, January 14, 2021

Painting hydralisks

Introduction

The final Contrast-quality part of the commission. Yeah, you go figure out what these things are supposed to be.

I figured that they'll be perfect to test out some more Contrast paints on metalic basecoats.

Painting


These two were spray painted Retributor Armor.


I leaned into the yellowy theme, and painted their soft fleshy parts Sun Yellow. I should have put on two coats, as the gold still shone through.


These two were grey, so I applied Gunmetal over the chitin.


Paint the eyes Wraithbone.



So Reaper Bones sometimes does this. Persevere. Lay in a second coat. Spread it around.


In the end, I gave one of each pairs a solid coat of Aethermatic Blue, and the other, a coat of Akhelian Green.





Wraithbone basecoat and Skeleton Horde on the claws.


Nazdreg Yellow on these large claws, for some variety.


The Akhelian Green does not make the eyes pop out enough. I did a Silver basecoat, then Blood for the Blood God. Works the same as a gemstone technical.


This last guy was sprayed Mephiston Red and it took some time to come up with an idea.


I thought to give it the same two blues, to have a purplish hue. Aethermatic Blue just looks like a wash.


Akhelian Green results in this strangely matte, desaturated dark violet.


I tried to bring back some color with Volupus Pink... 


In the end, I gave up and basecoated the chitin in Gunmetal.


Dilute Shyish Purple 1:1 with Contrast Medium and give him a solid coat. This purple metalic look rocks. It also darkened down the red.


For the eyes, I wanted to contrast well with the purple. Silver basecoat, then Lamenter's Yellow.


Same claws.


Finished!






No comments:

Post a Comment