Monday, February 7, 2022

Painting Confessor Kyrinov

Introduction

The final miniature of the "classic" line that I purchased: Confessor Kyrinov, to be used as a priest/missionary as needed. Out of any fancy ideas, I decided to mimic his original paint scheme.

Note that I dropped him during painting, resulting in the top spike of his mace breaking off.

Preparation

I initially just thought of pinning him to a cobblestone base, and pinning his staff arm separately. However, the joint was small and fiddly. So I instead glued a piece of ruin to the base, and pinned the staff to that.

Painting

Prime Wraithbone. I then started with the base, which involved drybrushing. Follow up with a cleanup of Wraithbone to prepare for some Contrast basecoats.

Apply some painting tips

  • White robes (note that I wanted to cut some corners and did not dilute the Skeleton Horde, the result looks like crap. I decided to cover it up later.)
  • Black shoes
  • Skull at the end of the staff (which is actually a two-faced skull and  thus probably an ornament instead of an actual skull. Oh well.)
  • Medium leather container hanging from his belt
  • Speed silver on any ornaments that aren't gold
  • Medium skin
  • Eyes

Dark gold

Basecoat Bright Bronze.

Coat Wyldwood.

Highlight with the original Bright Bronze. The original idea called for a brass highlight, but I have no such color (Brassy Brass is nearly the same as the bronze) and tried Polished Gold. Not the best, I'll rather mix Bronze with Silver next time.

Colored metalics

Paint the red parts in Blood Angels Red, and the gold parts in Snakebite Leather.

Additional details

There was already enough beige on this miniature, so I decided on painting the relic yellow. Heavy Goldbrown basecoat, Reikland Fleshshade, highlight, mix in Dead White for a second highlight.

I highlighted the Shyish Purple under robes with Hexed Lichen, which proved a bit too dark. I mixed in Dead White for an additional layer.

I basecoated the beard with a mix of dark grey from the wet palette (reuse, reduce, recycle!). It looked too light, so I coated it in Basilicanum Grey, then highlighted back up by mixing in Dead White.

Writing on both scrolls with diluted Black Templar.

Lightning pattern on the black staff and relic: base Heavy Blue, line Electric Blue, highlight Dead White.

Finished!






No comments:

Post a Comment