Thursday, February 10, 2022

Painting a Skullcannon/Blood Throne of Khorne

Introduction

I bought this guy a long time ago, and quickly magnetized it. But not just the throne and the cannon - I initially magnetized the Bloodletter crew and their stand. Only when trying to fit it into place did I realize that magnet polarities actually make this impossible. I shelved the whole project, and used the model unpainted as just a Skullcannon.

I picked it up now as I saw some speed painting techniques to be used. These are always enjoyable to do, and I needed a morale boost after COVID. I scooped the magnets out of the Bloodletter stand and glued them on, then proceeded with painting in subassemblies.



Carriage, throne and cannon

Prime with Leadbelcher spray, then drybrush your way to quick silver.

Next, break out the Contrast paints and cover those preshaded areas! Use Blood Angels Red on the armor plates and Snakebite Leather on any gold trim.

Then paint the skin and bone areas. This was quite fiddly at times, so I preferred to do both basecoats, all shades, then use the highlighting process to correct any mistakes.




Sick Green highlighted with Scorpion Green on the tongue.


At the shade stage, I applied Druchii Violet over the buboes on the organic cables.

These areas nicely break up all the metallics, and they are somewhat fast to paint in a batch method.

Armor plates

Prime with Retributor armor, paint shiny gold, then fill in the debossed areas with Blood Angels Red.

Herald and crew

Prime with Mephiston Red spray and start with the skin.

Here are some WIP pictures of the painting tips used:

    Other details:
    • tongues as for the carriage
    • leather straps: Cygor Brown (nice coverage over red) highlighted Beasty Brown
    • eyes: Wraithbone basecoat, Nihilakh Oxide shade. This was actually harder to apply than wash/Contrast (or maybe I was just tired at that point) and I managed to spill out of the eye sockets, which I enhanced a bit for some low budget OSL.
    • Black Templar feathered out for the Bloodletter horns, this is actually a nice transition into the red skin
    • fill in the bracer debossed areas with Blood Angels Red


    I glued on the armor plates on the Herald, and finished off his bracers by filling in the debossed areas with Blood Angels Red.

    After highlights were finished and I cleaned up any splodges on the skin, I broke out the Contrast paints again for an experiment.

    Basecoat the Helblades Grey Seer.

    First layer of Iyanden Yellow.

    Stipple diluted Gryph Hound Orange on the sides.

    Stipple diluted Flesh Tearers Red on the sides, in a smaller area.

    Paint the sides of the blade Black Templar.


    Final assembly

    Glue on the armor plates to the engine exhaust and the herald's thighs.

    Glue on the Bloodletters with their stand. Because I had cut the stand up for my failed magnetizing attempt, I had to get creative. I extended the stand with a bit of sprue painted red, pinned in place for extra holding power. Then I filled in the hole on the engine side with super glue gel, before sticking the sprue-extender in. I aligned everything by hand while the glue gel was still solidifying. I then held the entire contraption in my hands for about 5 minutes (while watching a video) until the glue solidified. I left it on my desk overnight, to avoid any glue vapors frosting the miniature.

    I scraped the small nubs where the chains connect, and glued one of them. I could not glue both, as I had to hold the chain in place, and I couldn't fit in my fingers, so I used the plastic texture brush. Another 5 minutes like that with a video, leave it in place for some hours to be 100% sure, then glue on the other chain.

    Basing

    Finally, I scraped the nubs where the wheels connect to the base, and I scraped the previously painted base as well. Glue it on using generous amounts of plastic glue. The connectors are really small, I would definitely not recommend super glue here.

    Leave this for some hours as well, before applying the Mordant Earth. I also covered the underside of the carriage, the wheels etc.

    Finished!












    No comments:

    Post a Comment