Friday, June 3, 2016

Daemons vs Eldar/Dark Eldar, 02.06.2016

In preparation for a coming tournament, we have done a competitive (ish?) game.

Mission: Contact Lost + Crusade, Hammer and Anvil Deployment. ETC rules

Points limit:  2000 points

Lists:

Chaos Daemons: 

Daemonic Incursion Detachment

  • Warpflame Host 
    • 9x 11-man Pink Horrors, 3 icons scattered about. Got 3x Sacrifice, with Incursion and Summoning on the rest
    • Herald on Disk, exalted locus of +1 spell strength, level 3 psyker, rolled on Change
  • Demon Lord: Kairos Fateweaver
  • Auxiliary: 5-man Chaos Furies

Combined Arms Detachment

  • 2x Nurglings
  • 3-man Screamers of Tzeentch
  • 3x Herald of Tzeentch on Disk. Level 3 psykers. Mix of Change, Divination and Daemonology. Oracular Dais, Portalglyph, Grimoire of True Names.
Massive proxying here. I have 1 single squad of Pink Horrors! Everything is a Pink Horror, except actual Pink Horror models, which are the Heralds.

Dark Eldar: Combined Arms Detachment

  • 2x Archon, Warlord, webway portal
  • 2x 5-man Cabalites
  • Raider, Night Shields
  • Imperial Bunker with Comms Relay

Eldar

Allied Detachment

  • Autarch
  • Rangers
  • 3 Nightspinners
  • Hemlock Wraithfighter

Wraithhost 

  • Spiritseer
  • 2x 5-man Wraithguard with D-cannons
  • Wraithblades
  • Wraithlord, 2 flamers
  • Wraithknight, 2x D-cannons, scatterlaser
The Eldar are bringing the D.

Deployment


Everything is a Pink Horror. The Heralds are distributed along the Horror squads just in case the Eldar Steal the Initiative. Furies in reserve.


2 Archons Deep Strike with the Wraithguard. Fighter in reserve. Rangers with Autarch in Bunker. Wraithblades in Raider.

Chaos Daemons, turn 1.


Why didn't I spread out my guys for area denial during deployment? I don't know. But I did in the first turn.


Also summoned some Bloodcrushers to take care of any Wraiths.
The Heralds jump forward, join the Screamers...


... and unleash a psychic barrage that destroys the Raider. First Blood!
But, I forgot to cast the Grimoire. Huge mistake.

Eldar, turn 1.


The Nightspinners target the Screamer Star. I had 3+ invulnerable, rerolling 1s (Warp Storm + Cursed Earth), but I rolled all the 2s in the world. I had one Herald (the useless one that had the Portalglyph) and one Screamer remaining. That's 9 Warp Charges gone, not to mention the Artefacts.
Wraithblades advance. Wraithlord takes out the Nurglings.

Chaos Daemons, turn 2.



Furies arrive and take objective 5.


Kairos swoops forward. It takes a lot, but I manage to stun one Nightspinner. This means one less large blast!
I try to do Overwhelming Firepower on the Cabalites, but they run and then die to other psychics.
I did manage to summon more Heralds. I even got one with Posession.

Eldar, turn 2.

Time to land in the D!

Of course I forgot to take pictures due to excitement. Anyway, my summoned Heralds and Bloodcrushers died. The Wraithblades charged in and killed a unit of Horrors.

Chaos Daemons, turn 3.


Nurglings and Furies move in to tarpit one unit of D.

I charge the other unit with 2 units of Pink Horrors.


... and this is why we play Orks! Just kidding. Of course, 40+ attacks, hitting on 4+, wounding on 6+, 3+ save means no casualties. Fortunately, with rerolling instability and spectacularly bad rolling for the opponent (also 4+ saves due to Cursed Earth) I manage to tarpit.
Kairos flies off the table.

Eldar, turn 3.


Nurglings are worn down to 1 base with 1 wound.


Wraithblades multi-assault and fail spectacularly at killing stuff.
Wraithlord charges Pink Horrors who just cannot die.

Chaos Daemons, turn 4.


Endless combats. Never before have I seen Pink Horrors resist so long in melee! 


Kairos flies back in and risks Perils to get a D-shot at the Wraithknight. Guess what that 6 is next to it?


With the Wraithknight gone, I summon Screamers and turboboost on the objective.
I also summon more Heralds, because why not.
Nurglings die.

Eldar, turn 4.


The D-cannons are finally free to shoot at the Screamers.

JINK!

Chaos Daemons, turn 5.


The Screamers assault the D-guys and get tied combat despite the enemy being invisible!


My master plan unfolds as one Herald as well as Kairos get Possessed! I get two Keepers of Secrets.

Eldar, turn 5.


Screamers holding fast. No combats end. The Pink Horrors love it!


A couple more turns and I would have even killed the Wraithblades.

... and so the game ends on turn 5. My master plan crumbles.
We were pretty close in Maelstrom points, equal in Eternal War points, I had First Blood, he had Linebreaker and Slay the Warlord. Alas, I was far, far behind in kill points. I barely killed a couple of units, whereas all my summoned (and re-summoned... and re-summoned) Heralds provided a large amount of killpoints.

Final result: 14-6 for the Eldar.

Things learned?

  • 99 Horrors are a logistical nightmare. I barely had enough miniatures.
  • Don't forget the damned Grimoire.
  • The answer to D weapons is: endless tarpits!
  • Herald management can be tricky. I discounted the ETC rules on killpoints.

No comments:

Post a Comment