Monday, June 27, 2016

Daemons vs Tyranids, 26.06.2016

My fourth game in the tournament.

Mission: Spoils of War + The Relic, Dawn of War Deployment. ETC rules

Points limit:  2000 points

Lists:

Chaos Daemons: 

Daemonic Incursion Detachment

  • Warpflame Host 
    • 6x 11-man Pink Horrors
    • 3x 3-man Flamers of Tzeentch
    • Herald, exalted locus of +1 spell strength, level 3 psyker
  • Demon Lord: Kairos Fateweaver
  • Demon Lord: Lord of Change with the Impossible Robe, 2x Greater Reward, 1x Lesser Reward, lvl 3 Psyker, warlord
  • Auxiliary: 5-man Chaos Furies

Combined Arms Detachment

  • 2x Nurglings
  • 2x Herald of Tzeentch on Disk. Level 3 psykers (Portalglyph, Grimoire of True Names)
  • Aegis Defense Line with Comms Relay
This was my list with the usual everything-is-a-pink-horror proxies.

Tyranids:

Living Artillery Node

  • 3-man Warriors with 1 Venom Cannon
  • 3-man Biovores
  • Exocrine

2 Combined Arms Detachments, mounting up to:

  • 3x Flying Hive Tyrants, twin linked Devourers with Brainleech Worms, Electroshock Grubs, level 2 Psykers, one is the Warlord
  • 2x Venomthrope
  • 2x Termagaunts with Fleshborers
  • Mucolid Spore
  • Children of Cryptus
    • 8 Genestealers with the Spawn of Cryptus
  • 2x Carnifex with twin linked Devourers with Brainleech Worms
  • 3-man Zoanthropes with Neurothrope
A slightly varied list from last time, with the Mucolid spore replacing a couple of Gaunts.

Deployment

I deployed first, with all my Horrors lined up behind the Aegis Defense Line and hiding in ruins on the flanks.


I had no S10 or D to be afraid of, so I placed both my Greater Daemons on the table, on the left flank.
I rolled the perfect Warlord Trait: +1 to invulnerable saves. My Warlord now had a 2+ rerollable without Cursed Earth! Which was fine, since I did not manage to roll Cursed Earth anywhere.
The Nurglings infiltrated right next to the Relic.


Daemons, turn 1.

Target priority: Kairos flies forward and snipes 2 Biovores with Psychic Scream. 1 Zoanthrope dies to Bolt of Change.
Tactically summoning Daemonettes to hold the objective.
In a stroke of absolute luck, the Warlord casts Prismatic Gaze on a Flying Hive Tyrant and rolls 6 on the D table. First Blood, but one wound to Perils.


Possessed a squad of Horrors to get a Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage. Unlike the match with the Ultramarines, however, this was not a good move. More on that later.


Tyranids, turn 1.

Enraged by the loss rather than demoralized, the Tyranids surge forward. 
The Hive Tyrant on the right leaves the Bloodthirster with a single wound remaining.


The Warlord Hive Tyrants unloads into my Warlord, but does not inflict any wounds. Shooting overall into my ranks, but the main anti-infantry threat - the Biovores - was already neutered.



Daemons, turn 2.

Reserves arrive, even though I tried to keep them out by rerolling with Comms Relay. Furies land at a safe distance from everything. Flamers land but scatter, although still killing a respectable amount of Gaunts.
Bloodthirster does a Vector Strike for 2 wounds and flies off the table.


Daemonettes surge forward, but do not charge as I need to hold objective 5 again. No such compulsions for the Lord of Change and Kairos. The last Biovore dies to Psychic Scream. The Lord of Change charges and destroys the Warriors. The Carnifex loses 3 wounds to a D-shot.


Tyranids, turn 2.

The Genestealers arrive from outflank.
The Hive Tyrant flies forward and unloads into the Pink Horrors.


Everything runs towards the left flank, intent on delaying the rampage of the Lord of Change.


Daemons, turn 3.

The Lord of Change, a surviving Flamer and the Daemonettes in the ruins have weathered a lot of shots from the Carnifex and the Tyrant. They now proceed to clean up the Venomthrope and the Carnifex.


I unload 3x 2d6 S5 AP4 shots into the Genestealers. I roll horribly, and they survive.


I fly in both Kairos and my Bloodthirster on the right flank, intent on killing the Warlord Tyrant. Kairos unleashes a cover ignoring D-shot, but not only suffers and dies to perils, he also misses. Tyrant survives.

Tyranids, turn 3.

The Genestealers assault a Horror squad. They survive, denying Blood and Guts.


Whatever left of the back lines, retreats and fires into the approaching Lord of Change.



Warlord Tyrant fires into Pink Horrors.


Daemons, turn 4.

The Lord of Change cannot reach its targets yet to assault, so I try a lucky shot with Hellfire Gaze - I kill the Neurothrope.
I cannot shoot the Genestealers who are locked in combat, so I prepare to lose another Horror squad.
However, I do manage to kill the Warlord Tyrant with Misfortune + Flickering Fire.


Tyranids, turn 4.

There is nothing to stop the Genestealers from butchering another squad. The Tyranids rack up more killpoints.


Turn 5.

This is the final state of the table. The game ends at the end of turn 5.


14-6 for the Daemons.

I am fairly certain that, had the game continued, I would have easily racked up more points by killing what was left of the back lines (1 Carnifex, 1 Venothrope, 1 Zoanthrope, 1 Mucolid, 1 Exocrine). Several volleys of Flickering Fire should have knocked out the Genestealers, too. On the other hand, I had already failed that once this game, so who knows. I regret taking the risk with Kairos for the D-shot, but I was certain that I would take the Warlord with me, and also deny the killpoint for the Bloodthirster. Alas, I was in the lead in Maelstrom points, behind in killpoints and was holding the Relic at the end, so no real complaints anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment