Monday, June 27, 2016

Daemons vs Eldar/Dark Eldar/Assasins, 25.06.2016

My second game in the tournament.

Mission: Cleanse and Control + Crusade, Vanguard Strike Deployment. ETC rules

Points limit:  2000 points

Lists:

Chaos Daemons: 

Daemonic Incursion Detachment

  • Warpflame Host 
    • 6x 11-man Pink Horrors
    • 3x 3-man Flamers of Tzeentch
    • Herald, exalted locus of +1 spell strength, level 3 psyker
  • Demon Lord: Kairos Fateweaver
  • Demon Lord: Lord of Change with the Impossible Robe, 2x Greater Reward, 1x Lesser Reward, lvl 3 Psyker, warlord
  • Auxiliary: 5-man Chaos Furies

Combined Arms Detachment

  • 2x Nurglings
  • 2x Herald of Tzeentch on Disk. Level 3 psykers (Portalglyph, Grimoire of True Names)
  • Aegis Defense Line with Comms Relay
This was my list with the usual everything-is-a-pink-horror proxies.

Dark Eldar: Combined Arms Detachment

  • 2x Archon, Warlord, webway portal
  • 2x 5-man Cabalites
  • Raider, Night Shields
  • Imperial Bunker with Comms Relay

Eldar

Allied Detachment

  • Autarch
  • Rangers
  • 3 Nightspinners

Wraithhost 

  • Spiritseer
  • 2x 5-man Wraithguard with D-cannons
  • Wraithblades
  • Wraithlord, 2 flamers, scatterlasers
  • Wraithknight, 2x D-cannons, scatterlaser

Officio Assassinorum

  • Culexus Assassin

Deployment


Table prepped and ready.


Deployment below. The Eldar got to deploy first. Wraithblades in the Raider, grouped up with the Cabalites around the Wraithknight. Bunker (with Rangers and Autarch) behind them, then the Nightspinners and another group of Cabalites.

I got my customary Aegis Defense Line and the Horrors behind it. Nurglings infiltrated on objectives. Lord of Change on the right flank, and Kairos in the lower right corner. Tactical error imminent...


Eldar, turn 1.

So I originally measured out the Wraithknight's effective threat distance (12" movement, 36" inch range on the D-cannons), then put Kairos just out of this range (you can see a bit of him in the corner). There is one thing I forgot about: combat focus. The Wraithknight ran forward, then Kairos got two D-shots in the face. 6. Removed from play.
This was the first major event of the game. I was completely demoralized.
Other less cinematic events: the Raiders speeds towards the Nurglings. Culexus advances. Nightspinners shoot up some Horrors. Cabalites advance on the far side. Wraithlord advances.


Daemons, turn 1.

I lined some Horrors in front of the Wraithknight to try and block him off as much as possible. 
I then took a huge gamble. I jumped forward with the Lord of Change and assaulted the Wraithlord. The plan was to get locked in combat, kill it on the next turn, then take off after the Wraithguard arrive. So far, so good.

Eldar, turn 2.

With the Autarch and the Comms Relay manipulating reserves, both squads of Wraithguard managed to hold back.
The Wraithblades disembark and destroy the Nurglings.



The Wraithknight starts its rampage in my ranks, shooting, assaulting and stomping. 
The Assassin advances further on.
My gamble backfires horribly as the Wraithlord refuses to die.


Chaos Daemons, turn 2.

Furies arrive from Deep Strike and scatter off the objective.



I cast Grimoire on a group of Horrors and assault the Wraithknight. This would work if not for a 6 on the stomp. I lose most of the squad, but at least the Wraithknight is locked in combat.
I commit another tactical error and do not assault the Assassin with the Nurglings. I had my reasons - I had to score that objective to stay even with the points. However, locking the Assassin down would have been a lot better at this point.
Unfortunately, I manage to kill the Wraithlord. The Lord of Change is on the ground.


Eldar, turn 3.

Both Wraithguard squads arrive next to the Lord of Change. I get a salvo of D-shots with multiple 6-s. Removed from play.


The Culexus is free to assault a squad of Horrors.

Chaos Daemons, turn 3.

I knew I was losing. Both my Greater Daemons were down and I did not inflict nearly enough casualties. I was growing desperate. My only chance to hold out was to dominate the Psychic phase, and I couldn't do that with the Assassin around. I charged it with everything I had (all Pink Horrors), hoping to crush it with numbers. It survived with 1 wound.


I summoned Bloodletters to have a change against the Wraithknight, but they mishap and get placed in the far corner.
Flamers arrive and at least kill both squads of Cabalites. 


Eldar, turn 4.

The Wraithknight joins the assault. The attacks themselves do not do much, but 3 stomps later, most of my Horrors and Heralds are dead.


The characters leave the Wraithguard squads to hold more objectives. My right flank is no longer a threat, with only a couple of Horrors and a Fury moving around.

Chaos Daemons, turn 4.

I take whatever victories I can. I assault an Archon with Horrors and the Fury, killing it.



Two Flamers spray the bunker, killing the Rangers and the Autarch inside.


Eldar, turn 5.

The Eldar continue to demolish my ranks. The Wraithguard destroy the remnants of the right flank, the Wraithknight destroys one squad each turn.


Chaos Daemons, turn 5.

I manage to destroy the Raider with Psychic shooting, hoping for the killpoints to save me.


I enjoy a brief moral victory as the Spiritseer is possessed by a Herald of Tzeentch.


Turn 6.

By turn 6, all of the table belongs to the Eldar, who score points with impunity. The greatest hammerblow is of course the Crusade objectives, which yield 12 points to the Eldar at the end of the game.


Final score: 20-0 for the Eldar.

Forgetting combat focus was my greatest mistake here. I should have just kept both Greater Daemons in reserve, and keep them in the air, wrecking havoc with Psychic shooting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment