Monday, June 27, 2016

Daemons vs Ultramarines, 26.06.2016

My third game in the tournament.

Mission: Contact Lost + The Emperor's Will, Dawn of War Deployment. ETC rules

Points limit:  2000 points

Lists:

Chaos Daemons: 

Daemonic Incursion Detachment

  • Warpflame Host 
    • 6x 11-man Pink Horrors
    • 3x 3-man Flamers of Tzeentch
    • Herald, exalted locus of +1 spell strength, level 3 psyker
  • Demon Lord: Kairos Fateweaver
  • Demon Lord: Lord of Change with the Impossible Robe, 2x Greater Reward, 1x Lesser Reward, lvl 3 Psyker, warlord
  • Auxiliary: 5-man Chaos Furies

Combined Arms Detachment

  • 2x Nurglings
  • 2x Herald of Tzeentch on Disk. Level 3 psykers (Portalglyph, Grimoire of True Names)
  • Aegis Defense Line with Comms Relay
This was my list with the usual everything-is-a-pink-horror proxies.

Ultramarines: Combined Arms Detachment

  • Chapter Master
  • 2x 5-man Tactical squad, Missile Launcher, both in Razorbacks with twin-linked Lascannons
  • 5-man Devastator Squad, 4 Lascannons
  • 5-man Assault squad
  • squadron of 3 Predators, 2 with twin-linked Lascannons and 2 sponsoon-mounted Lascannons, one with Autocannon
  • Land Speeder with Typhoon Missile Launcher, Heavy Bolter
  • Land Speeder with Autocannon
  • Dreadnought with twin-linked Lascannon, Missile Launcher
  • 5-man Terminators with Cyclone Missile Launcher

Imperial Knight

  • Thermal Cannon
  • Gatling Cannon
  • Missile Pod
  • Meltagun
So a lot of lascannons and a Knight. Lots of long-range firepower here.

Deployment

I deployed first. Learning from my mistakes in the last game, I kept both my Greater Daemons in reserve. I set up the Horrors mostly in cover, and hoped to weather the first round of shooting.


Up front, the gunline.


Daemons, turn 1.

I didn't do much in the first turn, being able to sit on objectives and score them. 
I made sure that I have Cursed Earth coverage everywhere.
I actually thought that I made a mistake by casting Possession with a squad of Horrors. I did get a Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage, but I actually gave up First Blood. In the long run however, it proved fruitful.

Ultramarines, turn 1.

The right flank pushed forward, with everything else laying down a storm of shots. However, there were no real targets. I had no issues with Going to Ground with all the targeted Pink Horror squads, to gain 2+/3+ cover save (rerolling 1-s), so my casualties were minimal.


Daemons, turn 2.

Unfortunately, no pictures here; but you can see below that I flew on with my Greater Daemons. 
Kairos managed to wreck a Predator and shake another, denying the squadron bonus against Monstrous Creatures.
The Warlord shot at stuff, but to no great effect.
I tried to land my Furies in the enemy's back lines, but mishapped and went back to reserve. I got one squad of Flamers in, who landed next to the Predators, but did not inflict damage.

Ultramarines, turn 2.

The Assault Marines land beside the Nurglings and charge - double ones.
My army absorbs a second round of massive shooting, with no visible effect.


Daemons, turn 3.


The Bloodthirster lands, then I cast Invisibility on it from Kairos.
I try a D-shot into the Knight, taking off 2 Hull points.


Both Nurgling squads assault the Marines, but even with Misfortune, I barely survive combat.


Ultramarines, turn 3.

The left flank unloads into Kairos and the invisible Bloodthirster. Both survive. 
The right flank unloads into the Warlord, who also escapes unharmed.
The Nurglings defeat the Assault Marines.


Daemons, turn 4.

The Bloodthirster eliminates the Devastator Squad.
Right next to it, two Flamers wage their eternal close combat against the unupgraded Chapter Master.
The Lord of Change unleashes a psychic barrage into several Marine squads, but fails to destroy any of them. At least I charge and destroy a Razorback.



Ultramarines, turn 4.

The struggle carries on.
The Bloodthirster takes a wound from Lascannon fire.


The Lord of Change takes a wound, but passes the Leadership test.


Turn 5.

The Bloodthirster eliminates the Predator squadron. Kairos flies on; along with the Lord of Change, they manage to eliminate most of the marines there.
Furies finally arrive and take the Emperor's Will objective.


In a final, desperate attempt, the Chapter Master charges the Bloodthirster. I pass all the armor saves, and obliterate him. The game ends at the end of turn 5.

20-0 for the Daemons.

This definitely went better than expected. I think I learned well from the other day's mistakes. The Bloodthirster was incredibly lucky, and the Horror squad that summoned it got back its point value manyfold. On the other hand, the Knight would probably have been used better by going forward and stomping some Horrors - at least it went well for the Wraithknight. Then again, that would have forced me to deal with him, and between 2 Prismatic Gazes and the D-thirster, that should not have posed a big problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment