Friday, January 24, 2020

Maggotkin of Nurgle vs Gloomspite Gitz (includes rematch), 2020.01.22

Introduction


The local Gloomspite Gitz army had changed hands, and I welcomed the chance to play someone new. 1000 points, same old Maggotkin list as always (which now has the added bonus of residing at the Guild Hall, so I don't even have to carry them to the game). Regular missions from the core rulebook, and we took the time to discuss everything.

Gloomspite Gitz

  • Skragrott, the Loonking
  • Fungoid Cave-Shaman
  • Loonboss on Mangler Squig
  • 12-man Squig Herd
  • 6-man Squig Herd
  • 10-man Boingrot Bounderz

Mission: Blood and Glory



Battle round 1


A slow start, with neither of willing to commit.



Battle round 2


I advanced my army just a bit, taking a calculated risk. But boy, am I bad at math. Like a guided missile, the Mangler Squig shot towards Virulax, the Great Unclean One. It made a 12" charge. It rolled well. It took me out in one shot.


Things on the list that can one-shot Virulax: Mangler Squig.


Battle round 3


At this point, I was on the back foot, but the game was not lost. If I got the turn, I could buff the Plague Drones and move in, perhaps cripple the Mangler Squig just enough... but I lost, the Gitz got the double turn. The Mangler Squig charged and killed the Poxbringer and two Drones (or maybe all 3?). I conceded.

Rematch: Escalation


With the first game done in around 90 minutes, we set up for a second round, rolling for a different mission.

Battle round 1


We advanced cautiously, with all our heavy-hitters confined to the back lines. 


Battle round 2


However, I had better positioning, and on the bottom of the second round, I had all 3 objectives.

Thanks to the Gnarlmaw, the Plague Drones made their charge, tying up the Boingrot Bounderz. That is one unit I do not want to be charged by, ever.


Battle round 3


My points lead made the Gitz throw caution to the wind, and the Mangler Squig charged into my lines, annihilating a 5-man summoned Plaguebearer group. This enabled me to charge in with Virulax and the Poxbringer. Although I had initially sent in the Poxbringer as more of a distraction/insurance policy, Virulax did exactly 0 wounds in the fight phase. He did 2 in the hero/shooting phases, so he wasn't all useless. The Boingrot Bounderz went next, the Squig unconcerned by the piddly attacks of a support hero. But the Poxbringer decided to go all-in, and did 5 damage, bringing the Squig to its 3rd and weakest bracket. Retaliation was pillow-fisted, Virulax survived.


Battle round 4


I don't remember the turn order here; but I think I got the double turn. Seeing his foe weakened, Virulax manned up - or at least I can't explain any other way the luck of the dice, and he stomped the Mangler into the ground.


The Gitz went all in, but without the Mangler Squig, attacks simply bounced off Virulax... It was my 3rd turn of holding all the objectives, and there was no way to catch up. The Gitz conceded.


Aftermath


Every other game, I have to bring up that I don't believe in the luck of the dice. While they go mostly statistical, sometimes they swing one way or the other, and in small games, it counts for more. It happened in our first game; double-6 on the charge, and on the damage roll, sealed my fate. But it all balanced out in the end, as it usually does, and our evening ended 1-1. It was a good pair of games, with a fair share of gut-wrenching moments, tactical consideration and careful measuring. The heavy hitters duked it out in the middle, while small skirmishes happened on the flanks. I also enjoyed the friendly atmosphere. Although we went all-in as far as tactics go, we also tried to help each other out. It was my opponent's 3rd game with the army, and I tried my best to remind us of any command abilities and effects that I vaguely remembered from my previous encounters with the Gloomspite Gitz.

No comments:

Post a Comment