Thursday, January 23, 2020

Painting Chaos Warriors in Word Bearers color scheme

Introduction


I had these guys lying around on their sprues ever since I bought them to provide conversion bits for the dragonborn paladin. I felt it was due time for them to take the field.


Painting the bodies


Prime in black.

Painting the red armor


A rather simple paint scheme, featured on Warhammer TV and translated into the paints I have available.

Spray Mephiston Red. Recess shade black.


Edge highlight Khaki.


Wash Carroburg Crimson.


I did not like the sharp edges, so I applied a second layer of Carroburg Crimson as a test. The result was even worse, as the edges disappeared completely.


I tried to fix it by doing a thick glaze edge highlight with a mix of Bloody Red and Khaki, before applying the Khaki edge. Still bad.


The final solution was going back to the original colors, then applying a second wash of heavily diluted Carroburg Crimson - about 1:5 to Lahmian Medium.


Squad ready!


Other details


Warm white cloaks.


Brown fur.


Light and medium brown leathers. Horns and claws. Skulls on the back. Black boots. Silver chainmail and other metal elements. Pale flesh. Eyes.

For more simple elements, I did the ropes in Filthy Brown, washed Agrax Earthshade, then highlight base color.

I painted the helmeted eyes white, then filled up the sockets with Hexwraith Flame for a green glow.



Painting the bases


Start with dark earth.


Paint the skulls. Be careful - I missed a few.


Apply patches of Blood for the Blood God! around the skulls. Blood is bubbling from the earth, washing up skull between the cracks.


Painting the arms


Medium leather gloves, light leather weapon grips. Silver weapons. Copper pieces to break up the silver (Hammered Copper, Agrax Earthshade, Bright Bronze highlights). Blood for the Blood God! on the cutting edges.


Paint the horn as... well, horn.

Paint the banner warm white. The Chaos star relief is a simple red progression: Gore Red, Bloody Red, Hot Orange, Orange Fire.


Paint runes on the banner. I looked into Colchisian runes and found this fine fellow, so I decided on doing Greek letters. Horizontally it says: KAOS. Around the star: LORGAR. Below: capital Alpha and Omega. I did this using my finest brush and Black; then Off White to clean up. Curved letters are especially tricky.


Weathering



Runes on the armor


Same as for the banner. I thought about experimenting with dark greens and blues, but the first experiment - black - looked fine and I went with that. I should have done this after the weathering step, as the mud would go over the runes, but it's too late at this point.

Inspiring inscriptions include: ALL I EVER WANTED WAS THE TRUTH (split between two models, good luck deciphering that), LORGAR, URIZEN, KAOS, as well as multiple Alpha-s and Omega-s to represent the endless cycle of Chaos Undivided.

With all the doodads across the chest and the fur cloak covering most of the shoulder pads, I was mostly limited to leg plates and helmets.




Mount on bases


Drill the base, cut off the pin, glue.


Finished!

Hah, just kidding. I messed up. I created exactly the right amount of arms; but instead of the proper kind of arms, I had one left arm missing and one extra right arm. Sigh.

Extra arms

Shields


Sprayed black, painted red as the armor. Silver as above.


Tried a different approach to runes, with only some capital letters or words written out, then squiggly lines to signify cursive writing.



Extra banner


Kitbashed using the banner arm of the Chaos Warriors and a banner bit from the Marauder kit which I had lying around. Painted using the same techniques (skulls, white cloth, rope, dark brown wood, silver) as above. Runes and chaos star painted using Heavy Red, highlighted Hot Orange.


Mud.



Finished!









No comments:

Post a Comment