Thursday, January 2, 2020

The year in review

Another year, another review!

First and foremost, as ever, the mainstay of my hobbying is playing Dungeons and Dragons. We finished the Storm King's Thunder campaign this December, with some unexpected twists in the storyline thanks to the luck of the dice and some choices the party made... and dare I say that the new year will bring surprises aplenty!

Again, as ever, MAGUS lags behind, although the year was marginally better than the one before. With 9 full sessions played and season 3 in full swing, the year also saw me join the party as a player instead of GM-ing, and with the added incentive of painting miniatures - but more on that later.

On the wargaming side, Age of Sigmar bypassed Warhammer 40k by a slight margin. With the local community somewhat inactive, 2019 saw only 6 matched play games of 40k, although the Uprising on Mane Primus campaign continued on. We did not manage to complete it - I expect the final mission in the first quarter of the new year. That said, I did not play more games of matched play in Sigmar... but I was there for the endgame of the Path to Glory campaign, participated in the Meeting Engagement Tournament, and got into the Stormvault campaign (which died, but it was fun, while it lasted). With the local Sigmar community thriving, I expect the new year to continue the trend.

Finally, on to the most exciting part: miniature painting! I initially expected for the review to reveal that I lagged behind last year's results... but to my surprise, I actually painted more. I like this trend.

While the year started off strong in the Warhammer department (with a painting competition, no less), I quickly transitioned to fantasy miniatures. I painted female miniatures for MAGUS, as well as a host of enemies for DnD, including the 3d-printed giants. There was a rise in commission projects (if you can call getting paid in beer commission painting), and a few odd jobs.


You might notice some as of yet unpublished things hiding in the photos... all in due time.


On to an even more successful 2020!

No comments:

Post a Comment