Thursday, November 26, 2020

Converting a techmarine with scratch-built servo arms

Introduction

My second space marine commission after the magnetized Repulsor. The specification: bolter, chainsword, two servo arms.

 

Bits and pieces

I had a cache of orky bits from who knows where. After some research, this is what I found to be servo arm material.

I honestly don't know what this is.


Power choppa?


Half of a power klaw.


So here's everything. An old marine body with attached head and chainsword. A bolter arm with a decorated shoulder pad. The chopped up orky bits (I only took the powered part of the choppa). A backpack with no exhaust bulbs (that is where the servo arms will go). Plasticard rods. Round sprue injection points.


Backpack assembly


I did not take step by step photos. Suffice to say that everything is pinned. EVERYTHING.




I added plasticard fingers to the power claw.



Unfortunately I drilled through some pieces.


But that can be fixed with clay shapers and watered down milliput.


Otherwise the backpack assembly is complete!



Full assembly


I tried to dry fit the bolter and the backpack, but the shoulder pad rim is too large and wouldn't fit. I had to trim it down.


Also drilled the bolter at this point.


I rounded off the cut with the hobby knife, but a huge backpack will cover it up anyway.


Finally, I filled the hole in the marine's back with milliput and superglue-d on the backpack, but it broke off easily. So I pinned that too...



Finished!






No comments:

Post a Comment