Thursday, November 19, 2020

Creating statues/terrain for Warhammer 40k and AoS

Introduction


I have a mound of stuff in various boxes which I'll turn into terrain - "some day". This is my first actual attempt at creating terrain, using two old statuettes.

Base


I created cobblestone bases - but on a larger scale, on some leftover balsa-wood plates.


In fact, I improved on the process. When using the clear rolling pin to smooth out the putty, first put down a layer of baking paper. This wonderful material prevents the putty sticking to the rolling pin, for that extra smooth finish.


Then wet the entire surface and go in with the texture rolling pin.




40k statue


I found this old statuette representing a WWI soldier. If this isn't a perfect Unknown Guardsman type statue, then I don't know what is. I initially wanted to paint it as some sort of weathered bronze, but after a thorough scrubbing to get rid of dirt and dust, it looks like weathered black iron. Or whatever the material is. I love it.


Using a triangular ruler, I calculated the exact center of the base, where the statue should go. Note the faint red lines drawn using a 0.3mm pen.


Gluing proved a challenge. I went in thinking that this massive statue needs some thicker glue to stick. I tried silicone glue, but it had dried in its packaging and it was unusable. I then went with a hot glue gun, but it did not stick to anything. I peeled off the thick remains and went with what I know: superglue. Slather on thickly on the base of the statuette, then place precisely in the drawn square.

Finished!





Age of Sigmar statue


Unsure where I got this bronze axeman. Again, I first thought of painting him, but after some thorough cleaning by toothbrush, I decided I liked the color. The cobblestones were created and painted as above. The base of the statue was 3d-printed and painted as grey rocks. Assembly by superglue.






No comments:

Post a Comment