Monday, August 31, 2026

Astra Militarum vs Tyranids, 25.08.2026

Giving my mixed list another go: tanks and scions vs Tyranid monsters. I thought I'd have an easy time, with all tanks having lethal hits against the monsters, and the scions rerolling to wound...  well, not so much.

Tyranids got first turn and took position for early Take and Hold points.


Movement on my side was restrained, although I learned some from my previous game and kept the tanks on the table. Opening fire immediately yielded one dead exocrine on the right flank, and one wounded one on the left.

Round 2

The Tyranids spread out to score a load of points. One Tyrannofex took out the Leman Russ battle tank - note to self, this is not a duel I want to engage in.

On my turn, I also scored points - again, lessons learned.

I dropped in some scions, though not all. I wiped the 'gaunts off the middle, but failed to kill the Exocrine on the left.

In the center, I brought out the tanks to fire at a Norn Emissary with a tail sticking out, bringing it down to a couple of wounds but failing to kill it.

Battle round 3

The Tyranids' scoring dropped sharply with their decreased board presence. However, everything I had was also open... so here come the monsters. The Hellhound died to shooting combined with the Norn Emissary charging in. It exploded, killing Kroyle and wounding the Dorn. Failed to kill the Emissary.

On the left, Tyranid shooting was ineffective against the Scions, but the Sentinel died and also exploded.

I kept up the good scoring, even with some battleshocks due to Shadow in the Warp. Managed to kill the Exocrine with battleshocked Scions. Dropped in more Scions to kill both Norn Emissaries.

At the end of the round, we were neck to neck in points.

Battle round 4

Tyranids decided to go all in and their score jumped up due to increased board presence. They also wiped out most of the Scions, and I couldn't bring any back with Reinforcements in the following turn.

Had the Dorn managed to shoot down the white Maleceptor, I'd have scored a lot... but it didn't. Shooting down the other one barely held back the monsters. Also the sentinel failed horribly in its shooting against the Lictor.

Battle round 5

The Tyranids mostly just sat still and scored all the points, finally running away with scoring. I tried for an Assassination/Centre Ground/Diplay of Might combo by going after the Hive Tyrant in the middle, but it survived at 1 wound. Sigh.

Tyranid victory!


Now what?

I definitely did not have an easy time. I improved somewhat, this being the first game I actually played to the end. But this army style lacks enough units that can be put out on objectives and survive. I have a couple more ideas to try out, namely skewing hard into things instead of this combined arms approach. But if that doesn't work out... chaos beckons!

No comments:

Post a Comment