Thursday, May 2, 2019

Diorama base for the Chaos Sorcerer in Terminator Armor

Introduction


As stated at the end of the Chaos Terminators post, there is one guy who is not yet finished: the Sorcerer. Of course, I could have mounted him on a base just like everyone else and have him be distinguished by holding a staff. But there are instances when he would need a force axe, or sword, and then how to tell him apart? And so, I decided on creating a custom base. Then I found the imp  among my collection of unpainted minis, and I thought to take it one step further.


Proof of concept


Here's the Sorcerer, reading some nasty spell from the book that his spell familiar is holding.

Creating the base


Glue a thick piece of cork on the base. Then some thinner pieces to form the platforms where the sorcerer and the imp will stand. All this was dry fit before gluing.


I took my old hobby knife (the one that I don't use for actual models anymore) and carved up the cork, forming two rough depressions.



Seal using PVA glue, then paint as lava.


Dry fit the minis; drill holes using a hobby drill; mess it all up.

With pins sticking out of both minis, I didn't dry fit them together on the base. And so I missed a crucial fact: the imp has to be placed slightly below the sorcerer. I glued the sorcerer in place, and only then realized that I can barely drill a hole for the imp's pin, and even then I can't place him where he needs to go due to the horns on the sorcerer's faceplate.

And so I ripped the sorcerer out... taking a large chunk of cork with him.


Fortunately, cork is a forgiving material. After gluing the imp into place, I managed to glue the sorcerer back with no visible seams. Just use lots of superglue, then push the cork around while it dries.

Finished!









No comments:

Post a Comment