Thursday, June 30, 2022

The rebasening: Plague marines

Introduction

Like many other models, the Plague Marines have also grown taller and got transferred to 32mm bases. Here it goes for these metal miniatures (as well as the plastic ones I converted from the Chaos Marine kit).

Rebasening

First, rip off the washer, scrape off the superglue, and use plastic glue to affix the old bases to new 32mm bases. I did this in order to a) keep the original basing b) gain height.

Bulk out the bases around the rim. Stirland Battlemire works much better than Stirland Mud. It still collapses a bit on itself, but some of the volume remains.


However, I had a pot of almost dried out Stirland Mud with large dry pieces in it. As long as you can set it well, this works wonders and will keep a lot more of the volume.

Finally, you can go for the low budget approach with home made putty. I probably should have mixed up the mass with some water. As it quickly fragmented, it became difficult to affix the pieces to the base. I later put in a lot of superglue to keep everything on there. It also messed up the rim of the base, which I kept mostly untouched for the rest of the models.

After everything dried, I painted the bases as well. I ran out of the original reddish brown, so I tried out Beasty Brown instead. Turns out, it is actually more of a leathery light brown tone when painted over white. Also the Heavy Brown drybrush is barely visible.

I did try out something new, and used GSW pigment binder for the black pigment. While it wasn't as good as regular medium when mixing with the pigment on the palette, it worked wonders when lightly putting on pigment powder on the base.

No comments:

Post a Comment