Thursday, June 16, 2022

Painting a dark elf matriarch

Introduction

This gorgeous miniature has been sitting around in the closet for approximately a year after I initially painted the black obsidian throne. Now I decided to paint it along with the other dark elves.

Black obsidian throne

Prime black, then paint the throne shiny black.

Painting other details

Speed painting silver for all the metal details, such as the armor, the crown, and all the sockets of the gems.

Then I applied some basecoats. Heavy Red on the large cloth, Heavy Violet on her cape, Dead White hair, Charred Brown ground.

I spent extra time on the cloth bits. First, the Heavy Red was too desaturated given its black surroundings, so I layered it with Flesh Tearers Red. Then highlight Gory Red and Bloody Red. Finally, mix Dead White into Heavy Violet and highlight the cape a couple of layers.

I went for dark purple crystals, same as on this mystic here.

Finally, red gems.

I think it's a cool color combination. Red cloth and purple crystals on the ground, red gems and purple cloth on the throne/queen. Keeps everything within the same color palette but the types of surfaces are clearly separated.

Finishing

Spray varnish. Glue to a 60mm base.

Fill out the base with Stirland Mud. Drybrush Khaki.

Finished!





No comments:

Post a Comment