For my first foray into Chaos Daemons since a long time, I chose the easiest possible army to play: daemonic incursion with 6 greater daemons (models courtesy of my opponent, I just brought two Bloodthirsters). Against me, the Thousand Sons with Magnus in the lead, on this Dawn of War deployment. My opponent proclaimed my imminent victory.
I wasn't so sure so I deployed somewhat conservatively, with one Bloodthirster in reserves, one on the left flank, and everything else in a death star formation around Be'lakor.
I got first turn, moved forward, took positions on objectives and sniped some Tzaangor Enlightened with Kairos.
Movement stuff always surprises me. While the Defiler did nothing, Magnus and his terminators took out the Bloodthirster.
I moved up on the right, but only managed to charge Be'lakor into a squad of Rubrics for Assassinate, and couldn't chew through. The Bloodthirster I dropped in to hammer Magnus took an overwatch and then died in melee, only scoring 4 damage. And then the counterattack left me with only Kairos standing.
I tapped out at the end of round 2.
That was short and violent, but I see lots of potential in both the army and the list I brought.
I originally wanted to keep all 3 Bloodthirsters in reserve, but I was talked into putting two on the table due to the deployment. Well 12" flying still isn't enough to run through in a single turn, and then you get shot and/or counterattacked. I still think the original plan was better.
Being outdeployed with only 6 drops is bad, with the Thousand Sons able to concentrate their forces on my lighter flank. I should have put Bela'kor and the chickens right in the middle and run up, then drop in the aforementioned Bloodthirsters.
Finally, I think some troops are merited, to hold down the objectives while the monsters do the killing. Even with the sticky objective stratagem, having to put the valuable models up front hurts.
In any case I won't be able to run this list again as I don't personally have the models for it, so I'll cook up something else and keep trying with daemons.




No comments:
Post a Comment