Thursday, February 27, 2020

Basing a large water elemental

Introduction

More experimentation with water effects on this translucent water elemental from Reaper Miniatures.


Painting the base


First, I painted the base into a blue gradient.

Prime by brush.


Basecoat Heavy Blue, then paint around the miniature with Magic Blue and feather out.


Paint a thin line of Electric Blue, then an even thinner with a mix of Electric Blue and Dead White.


Water effects


Emboldened by the tornado elemental, I wrapped the base with painter's tape and poured in the stuff. This did not go well. First, the capillary action is more pronounced when the material is thicker; second, it permeated the tape and started flowing out beneath the base. I layered on tape beneath until it stopped the liquid...


But the material stuck to the miniature (although not really visible, as it is transparent).



The stains are visible on the rim of the base.


And most of it flowed out, so I was left with a small thin layer. Good enough. I trimmed around the miniature with scissors and cleaned off the base with my hobby knife.


Finished!






No comments:

Post a Comment