Thursday, February 20, 2020

Painting a tornado elemental

Introduction


The fourth and final elemental slave to be painted!


Painting


Start with cold white - generic air elemental. Apply the highlights as glazes. I later painted his eyes with Bloodletter glaze.


My first view of his base was windblown grass. But this guy is actually air + water, so I thought of placing him on a watery base instead, and interpret the sculpted details as waves.

Basecoat Heavy Blue. Then paint the waves in Magic Blue, and also feather it out across the rest of the base.


Hilight with a succession of: Magic Blue + Electric Blue, Electric Blue, Electric Blue + White.


Water effects


After my previous experiments with water effects, I put the matter to sleep, unwilling to try again. However, I really wanted it for this miniature, so I dug out my Vallejo Still Water. And I obtained a much better result this time. The key was to use painter's tape instead of scotch tape. The much weaker adhesive means that nothing is ripped off when removing the tape. Note the very fine "walls" left by the capillary action.
I also did a layer of gloss varnish on the blue paint before pouring on the water effect.


Which I trimmed and cut using small scissors. What remains is a nice little transparent layer, shining and reflecting the blue below.


Finished!






No comments:

Post a Comment