Monday, November 29, 2021

Khorne Daemons vs Necrons, 2021.11.19

Introduction

I've learned a lot from my first "tournament style" game, let's put that into practice. I expanded my 1250 points list with some Bloodcrushers, up against an unknown army... turned out to be Indomitus necrons!


The necrons set up with a heavy infantry core and important stuff hiding behind the ruins, with the scarabs on the flanks, ready to pounce on objectives. 2 units of Cryptothralls in strategic reserves.

I put my heavy hitters on the right flank, countering the necron deployment.

Battle round 1

After the necrons' pre-game move, I got the first turn and moved as far forwards as possible. I claimed some objectives, and the Furies (proxied by some Bloodreavers, I misplaced my models somehow) completed the first Octarius data action in enemy territory. Be'lakor made the only charge, annihilating a squad of Scarabs.

The necrons advanced in turn, stealing objectives with their ObSec Scarabs. The maxed unit of Warriors concentrated fire into the Bloodcrushers. Warp Surge, as usual, did nothing relevant.


The necrons dominated the objective game, racking up lots of points.

Battle round 2

I tried to get all my big monsters into the Warriors, but the terrain prevented both Bloodthirsters making it in. The fought valiantly, but had nowhere near enough attacks. The Warriors reanimated and auto-passed morale, and still kept the objective. Scarabs still kept the objective.

I had dropped in a squad of Bloodletters with the Banner of Blood to kill Scarabs and take an objective. They failed, and the Scarabs flew over them to steal the objective in turn. Cryptothralls arrive from reserve to do Octarius retrieval.

The Skorpekh Destroyers and their Lord charged out into Be'lakor, who survived the initial hit (staying in his top bracket) and interrupted, killing the Lord.

I was tied up, not killing the objective stealing units, which in turn kept racking up points.

Battle round 3

I dropped in my final squad of Bloodletters, who again failed miserably at doing anything of import, such as killing the Warrior squad.

The remaining Bloodletters on the flank charged in, killing the Scarabs and thus taking back the objective. However, the Cryptothralls survived, thanks to a save of 6 and 2/2 5+ reanimations. Fortunately, they were equally incompetent at killing Bloodletters.

Best use of a Bloodthirster: shooting at Scarabs, yay.

At least Be'lakor could successfully cast his Pall of Despair, making the Skorpekh fight last. A lucky Smite killed one off, and the big guy killed the rest of them in melee.

The Lychguard came out of hiding, and the necrons crashed into my Bloodletters and Skullcannon. They held, but barely.


This battle round I gained some ground and points, while holding the necrons back. I still had the feeling of being dominated in points, but it wasn't actually true. As the next round began, and my heavy hitters, now freed up, began their advance towards the necron backlines, the necrons conceded and we shook hands.

Aftermath

For the first couple of rounds, the game looked pretty grim as far as points go, but I had fun. Unlike the previous game, I saw my units actually do something. With this type of terrain setup, melee armies are not only viable, but actually good. I was outplayed in many departments by the ObSec necrons, but they weren't geared towards killing. My infantry died quickly, but the big guys stayed alive and presented a credible threat, making their comeback in the late stages of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment