Thursday, November 4, 2021

Painting a South-American Indian warrior

Introduction

Some sort of convention-only miniature (Salute 2012), which I bought on eBay because it was cheap.

Painting

Prime Wraithbone.

Medium skintone on the warrior, light skintone on the severed head.



Other details:

  • wooden club and headdress: basecoat Wyldwood, 2 layers on the club. Highlight Khaki, wash Seraphim Sepia. I am liking this color scheme for wood more and more.
  • obsidian club: 2 layers of Black Templar already looks good on this multi-faceted surface, so I just did a highlight of Turqoise.
  • I started basecoating the jade trinkets with the leftover Turqoise, but halfway through it ran out, and I realized there's Terradon Turqoise for this job. I covered all (Wraithbone base and areas already covered by Turqoise), then highlighted all with Jade Green. I got an interesting blue-green gradient result, which I am happy with.
  • severed head hair: 2 layers of Basilicanum Grey, then Stonewall Grey overbrush 
  • Cygor Brown on all leathers, the highlight Beasty Brown
  • Gore Grunta Fur on the base, then Wyldwood in the depressions (earth). Overall drybrush Beasty Brown, then Elf Skintone only on the rocks. Unfortunately I was already seeing the paint flaking off in some points due to the drybrush, so I did an overall coat of severely diluted Wyldwood.
  • simple gold on some trinkets: Glorious Gold, Reikland Fleshshade gloss, Polished Gold.
  • warm white cloth.

Feathers and colored tiles

I ignored this miniature for so long because I had no idea what to do with the feathered headdress.

Well, start with the tiles on his upper body. Clean up with Bonewhite, then apply Ork Flesh overall. Then two more layers on every second row of tiles for alternating rows of light and dark green.

The first row of feathers got an overall coat of Iyanden Yellow. Then Gryph Hound Orange halfway up. Then Blood Angels Red on the top.

The second row of feathers were basecoated Aethermatic Blue, then successive layers of Thalassar Blue.

I then drybrushed the feathers Off White and Dead White, which was a bad idea - way to stark. So I did a diluted coat of Iyanden Yellow and Aethermatic Blue, respectively.

Basing

Finish off the painted base by gluing in two dry grass tufts into the cracks.

Finished!




No comments:

Post a Comment