Thursday, November 11, 2021

Proto-miniatures of my childhood

I recently helped my mum move house, and discovered these gems in a cardboard box. You see, I was into toy soldiers as a child. And into watching WW2 documentaries on the Discovery Channel. And whatever I saw, and I was missing, I made it myself! The yellow tank is supposed to be a Sherman if I remember correctly, while the tracked cannon next to Santa Clause is a railway gun.

I also did sci-fi stuff, such as the Transformers on the right. I had toy cars and motorcycles, so when the robot transformed, I just replaced the figure with the vehicle. Also note the sea monster - I think from Godzilla.

At one point I got into 3D stuff, such as the knight, crossbowman, and caveman. I also made the flail-wielding amazon to be able to sit on a plastic horse.

Things got wild by the end.

Oh, the "plasticine" is equal parts flour, salt and water. Mix until homogenous. I remember that you can obtain harder or softer material by varying the ratios. Create what you want, then bake in the oven. It's soft and usually won't stand up, so 3D stuff require multiple iterations. The material works as an excellent bond as well. Mix in toothpicks, but don't bother with plastic as it will melt in the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment