Monday, July 20, 2026

Game 4: Free Folk vs Lannisters

Finally, an army I actually know: the Lannisters. Also a funky game mode: A Dance with Dragons. With the pairings prepared the evening before, I spent some time agonizing over lists. I deduced that the Lannisters wouldn't take their double Turncoat no mobility infantry list into this already reduced movement scenario, so I brought forth the double Spear Thrower Giant list. I was right, with two cavalry units on the other side of the field.

The first round saw the Lannisters taking up positions. The terrain really hampered them: they placed the stakes on the right as well as the weirwood tree, but I won the roll-off and took the advantageous position. I marched and moved a Spear Thrower unto the far right objective, with Varamyr hiding out behind her.

Then start round 2 by attacking the ill positioned Hedge Knights.

Casterly Rock Honor Guard with Robert Strong on the left objective in the bog. I decided to ignore that unit from then on, and it spent the rest of the game trying to move off at 1" per turn. Unable to move or attack due to Mance, the Kingsguard just shuffled up to the center stakes. Hedge Knights flee back.

Round 3 saw the Hedge Knights die after a surprise double 6 from the far left giant on its infinite range attack. With Mance on them, no healing or extra movement, and they died to another throw.

At this point the Lannisters decided to move in. With Wun-Wun weakened, I preferred to heal him, and instead attack the Knights with thrown spears. But the Kingsguard also joined in, taking the center objective. This was bad, because I couldn't take it off them with more ranks, and also I couldn't make them fail a 4+ morale.

We finished round 3 at 3-3. 

An attack by Wun-Wun and another spear thrown saw the Knights go down.

But then the Kingsguard played all their cards and did 5 damage to Wun-Wun in one swing. Critical blow to the max! I went all in on them, but couldn't bring them down.

So we finished round 3 at 6-4 for the Lannisters.

Really? Losing to Lannisters?

There really wasn't anything else to do but grind it out. Varamyr died, but so did the Kingsguard during turn 4, which ended at 8-8. I managed to kill them in melee with Mag and surge move on the center objective.

At this point I was clearly winning 10-9 at the end of round 5. We did try some cheap shots, including one buffed panic check on my spear thrower - she failed but then just moved back on to the objective..

I also threw everything I could at the Honor Guard, including several spears and a Hurl Boulder. The last of those did the trick, they failed their panic check and dropped the objective, ending the game on 10-8

No comments:

Post a Comment