Monday, July 20, 2026

Game 5: Free Folk vs Martell

For the final scenario of the tournament, I came up against Martells in Here We Stand. Not ideal for the light desert troopers, but what can you do. I had no idea regarding the finer points of the army, so I set up on the line and decided to ball.

The Martells gave me first turn to bring in their Bowmen from outflank and pepper my Savage Giant.

I placed this leftmost giant after the enemy cavalry, and took the opportunity to attack it for 6 wounds.

I then made a mistake by not pursuing them, and they got away. However I did get the Bowmen, with a surprise combo of: Mance Rayder influence to disable extra moves; move using Lady Val; get shot; charge using Chieftain's Orders; then attacking on the Savage Giant's own activation. With one panic test failed, the Bowmen died. 1-0 at the end of round 1.

On round 2, the tactics board went up in flames. Poison on swords; sand diplomacy on horses and money bag. Sigh.

The Dervishes led by Obara charged into my Spear Thrower harassing their cavalry, but rolled poorly and failed to do much. I activated and retreated before they could attack again.

Already at a disadvantage, the Martells decided to send in the Knights, who failed  their 3" charge by rolling 2. (Or was it 2" rolling 1?) Either case, they then got double teamed by Wun-Wun and Mag and died.

The Sunspear Royal Guard also failed a charge, but I sent in the Savage Giant to keep them busy.

The action kind of fizzled out after that. With the tactics board in flames, I just spent my NCUs by taking over quarters and denying the Martells points - already easy with me in a massive unit/activation advantage. 

We played until round 4. Thanks to Rising Temperatures, the Spear Thrower ultimately died to the pursuing Dervishes. It held them there though, so totally worth. I danced around the Royal Guard with 3 giants, unable to land a killing blow. With Rhoynish Vengeance and more Rising Temperatures, Wun-Wun finished at 1 wound and the Savage Giant at 2. 

The game ended 10-4 for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment